Katie Maycock spent the first eighteen years of her life living with anxiety.
She called it various things such as eating disorders, personality traits, digestive issues, fear, and/or life. Not once did she acknowledge she was stressed or might have anxiety; having spent her early twenties working in corporate sales as a Type A individual that couldn’t get enough of the fast pace industry she worked in.
At 25, everything changed. Going from being super productive and an efficient machine, functioning with only 5–6 hours of sleep a night, exercising six days a week and routinely working twelve plus hours, to not being able to get out of bed. Katie spent the next few years developing and refining techniques to help break the cycle of stress and anxiety. She created practical tools that, to this day, help keep stress and anxiety to a minimum.
In her words she finally Got Her Sh*t Together.
Now her goal is to give back.
In This Episode, We Cover:
In This Episode, We Cover:
Enjoy this episode with Katie!
Or Listen On:
Selected Links From The Episode:
- Katie’s Website
- Own The Day, Own Your Life — Personal Develop Book by Aubrey Marcus — Optimized practices for waking, working, learning, eating, training, playing, sleeping and sex
- Katie’s Books on Freedom From ADHD
- Mans Search For Meaning — Viktor Frankyl — Freedom to choose your thoughts and actions; finding meaning in suffering
- The Stoics
Selected People From The Episode
Selected Show Notes
- Katie Maycock talking about her schooling and university degree — nutrition — [1:20]
- Setting up her first business straight out of university — [2:00]
- Moving into corporate recruitment for 5 years and being the youngest employee with point to prove — [2:50]
- On getting sick during her recruitment job and living in denial with stress and anxiety — [3:30]
- How she used her new understanding to start a business and help people — [5:30]
- The difference between stress and anxiety — [9:50]
- The movement towards more mental health awareness — [14:00]
- Giving advice to leaders who are struggling with stress and anxiety — [17:00]
- The link between the gut and the brain — [24:20]
- Foods to cut out and include for good gut health — [26:40]
- The importance of sleep — [30:00]
- Katie helps people who have had stress and anxiety warning signs — [32:50]
- Practical tools to combat stress and anxiety — morning routines, meditation, free writing, reading — [36:50]
- On forgetting we are animals — [43:00]
- Information overload and the inability to switch off and how it impacts our family and sex lives — [44:00]
- What advice Katie would give to herself at the end of university — don’t worry — [48:50]
- How to deal with successes and failures — [50:45]
- On short and long term goal setting — [52:00]
- Favourite Books and finding meaning in your suffering — [53:00]
- Advice to give to the world — get your sh*t together, where you right now isn’t forever (you have choice), — [55:00]
- How Katie Maycock finds customers for her business — [56:30]
- What does Katie hope the future will hold for her business — [58:17]